Hannah Starkey Commission: Call for Early Career Artists
The Hepworth Wakefield is pleased to invite expressions of interest from early career artists to work with the photographer Hannah Starkey (b. 1971, Belfast) on a forthcoming commission in Wakefield, starting March 2022. The collaboration on new photographs for an exhibition opening October 2022 will run alongside a programme of artist and peer mentoring, and professional development talks and workshops.
This fully funded programme for up to eight artists is offered as part of The Hepworth’s successful application to the Freelands Award in 2019 to stage a survey of Starkey’s career from the last 20 years and undertake a major new commission in Wakefield, which will be central to the exhibition.
Artist Development Programme
The call is open to Yorkshire-born or based photographers, including those currently in full- or part-time study, who identify as female or non-binary. The programme is free for participants and travel expenses will be paid.
The three-month programme will comprise:
- Close individual collaboration with Starkey on an image made in Wakefield, to be shown in the exhibition and published in the accompanying book
- Artist and peer mentoring
- 10 x 2-hour talks and workshops covering all aspects of development as an artist
- Access to darkroom facilities and technician support at The Art House, Wakefield
- An opportunity to exhibit your own work in a concurrent exhibition at The Art House, Wakefield
How to apply
Please send an Expression of Interest of no more than 500 words stating what excites you about working with Hannah Starkey and how you think this opportunity will benefit your practice. Please also indicate how you might engage with the public programme associated with the project.
Along with your written statement, please send a CV and up to 10 images of your work.
Please check you can commit to the programme timeline below before applying.
The deadline for the receipt of Expressions of Interest is midnight on Sunday 23 January 2022. Please send by email to firstname.lastname@example.org